- Is it necessary to be a university student, professor, employee or alumni to solicit the Pilgrim University Record?
To solicit the Pilgrim University Record it is not necessary to be a university student, professor, employee or alumni. Anybody can solicit the Pilgrim University Record. However, to receive the Jacobean University Certificate (JUC) it is required to be a student, professor, employee or alumni from whichever university around the world.
- What is the difference between the Pilgrim Accreditation and the Pilgrim University Record?
Pilgrim Accreditation: This is a document issued by the Catholic Church through the following institutions: Bishop’s Office, Parishes, Way of St. James Associations, Universidad de Navarra, etc.) This accreditation is for access to stops along the route such as shelters. Also, it is used to solicit the Compostela.
Pilgrim University Record: This document is issued by the Universidad de Navarra. It identifies the bearer as a pilgrim and it serves as a record book to receive the stamps of the universities along the route. Also, it is used to solicit JUC.
- What is the difference between the Jacobean University Certificate and Compostela?
Jacobean University Certificate: This certificate is used to certify the completion of the Jacobean University Pilgrimage to Santiago on whichever of the chosen routes.
Compostela: This is a document that grants the person who is on a Christian pilgrimage that shows they have completed the last 100 kilometers of the walk on foot or horseback or the last 200 kilometers on bicycle. This document is applied for and received from Pilgrim Office (Street Rua Nueva in Santiago de Compostela.)
- Is it necessary to have a stamp from all the universities of all routes to obtain the JUC?
It is not necessary to have a stamp from all the universities of all routes to obtain the JUC. It is sufficient to have one stamp from one university in each city of the chosen route.
- Is it required to bring the Pilgrim Accreditation and the Pilgrim University Record to have access to the shelters along the route and to solicit Compostela?
It is not required to carry both at the same time. It is sufficient to carry the Pilgrim University Record because it identifies the bearer as a pilgrim and it serves as a record book to receive the stamps of the universities along the route. Also, it serves as a pass to receive shelter along the route.
- Can you obtain the JUC in the same manner as the Compostela by completing the last 100 kilometers on foot or horseback or 200 kilometers on bicycle?
To obtain the JUC the pilgrim must complete in entirety the chosen route and have a stamp in the necessary universities and intermediate places. Furthermore, it is not important the distance traveled but it is required that the pilgrim travels the whole distance of the route.
- Do I have to send the Pilgrim University Record to the Alumni Office of the Universidad de Navarra to obtain the JUC?
To obtain the JUC it is not necessary to send the original Pilgrim University Record. It is sufficient to send by either postal mail or e-mail a photocopy or a PDF that shows the university stamps and certifications along the route.
- May I solicit the JUC if I do not have the stamp from my affiliated university?
To receive the JUC it is necessary to have the stamp from your affiliated university. If you are unable to obtain the stamp from your university, you may present a document of affiliation (i.e. student, professor, or alumni card; a diploma; official academic transcript; etc.) Also, it is required to have the stamps from the universities along the route with other certifications that prove your passage.
- When is it necessary to request the stamp from my affiliated university?
The pilgrims may ask for the stamp from their affiliated university before or after the completion. It is not important when you obtain this stamp, it is only necessary that you have it to solicit the JUC.
- Does the Pilgrim University Record have an expiration date?
No it does not have an expiration date. The pilgrim may complete the pilgrimage when he/she is able (weeks, months, years, etc.). There is no time limit.
- Is it possible to obtain the JUC if you start from other places for example Burgos, Leon, etc.?
To earn the JUC it is required to complete the entire chosen Spanish route while obtaining the necessary stamps.
If you intend to use the French route (Camino Francés) and you want to receive the JUC, you have to begin at the minimum in Pamplona. Also, if you would like to begin your route in a city such as Burgos or Leon and want to receive the JUC, you will need to complete the entire route. It is not necessary to complete the route in order.
- Can you obtain the JUC starting in Oviedo?
If you would like to do the “Camino Primitivo” it is sufficient that you begin in Oviedo to receive the JUC. If you want to do the “Camino del Norte” beginning in Oviedo, you will need to complete the entire route which begins in Guipúzcoa to receive the JUC.
- As a university student may I receive school credits if I complete the Camino de Santiago?
If you are a university student, you may be able to receive credits. It depends on your university. For example, students in the past have received credits by creating a report or presentation relating to their experiences and education along the route.
- May I receive discounts and benefits by having the Pilgrim University Record?
It is possible to receive discounts and benefits if you are the proud bearer of a Pilgrim University Record. You can find the benefits here: www.campus-stellae.org.
If you would like to make a suggestion of benefits or discounts please send us a message (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we will try to accommodate them.
- Is the Pilgrim University Record an initiative supported by a specific institution other than the Universidad de Navarra?
The Pilgrim University Record is an initiative supported since the beginning (October 2003) by many different organizations.
- Spanish Ministry of Education and Culture
- European Parliament
- Foundations such as the CUME Foundation, Caja Navarra Foundation
- Mayor’s Offices, autonomous governments
- Friends Associations of the Camino de Santiago
- Universities from around the globe
If you have and questions or suggestions, send us an e-mail email@example.com and we will respond as promptly as possible.